Get prepared for your next move with this handy moving checklist. Following a simple timeline, this moving “to-do” list will help you focus on specific areas of your moving and packing tasks to keep you on track and ensure you’re ready come move day.
Your moving to-do list
A month before the move
Reserve a moving company for your relocation as soon as you know you are moving. If you require packing assistance, Home Moving Solutions® can also pack up your house, apartment, townhouse or condo for you.
- Start to clean out closets, the garage, and attic.
- Put an ad in the classifieds and have a garage sale or donate your unwanted things to charity.
- If you have young children at home, call the school to arrange transfer school records to new school.
- Get change of address cards from your local post office or change your address online.
- Notify your local motor vehicles, charge accounts, insurance companies, clubs, and all other organizations of your change of address.
One to two weeks before the move
- Create single closet in your home of things you will need for the final clean-up and include snacks for the last day.
- If you decide to pack your home yourself, mark all moving boxes as you pack. Write the room on the top and sides of each moving box to ensure it gets to the correct location in your new home. Also write whether the items are fragile. If you’re pressed for time, or overwhelmed with packing, Home Moving Solutions® offers full- packing.
- Schedule disconnects for utilities such as internet, gas, electric, water and the telephone at your current home and schedule connects for your new home. If you have a landline, do not disconnect it until after your move. Arrange for deposit refunds that are due.
- Cancel newspapers, security, pest control, cleaning help, lawn maintenance, and any other services you receive at your current residence.
The week of the move
- Mail your change of address forms.
- Clean all home appliances and finish up any last minute cleaning before move day.
- Finish up packing and be sure all items are boxed and ready to go prior to the movers’ arrival.
- Think about where your kids and pets will be during the time of the move, and if necessary, plan for them to go to a relative or friend’s house during that time.
- Ensure you have transportation to your new home for yourself, family, and pets.
The day before the move
- Confirm the arrival time of your Home Moving Solutions® crew and update them on any last minute changes in inventory or schedule.
- Ensure all breakables have been removed from dresser drawers and packed away properly.
- Gather firearms or ammunition to be moved yourself, as these items cannot be transported. Place your alcoholic beverages in a box that will packed into your car by Home Moving Solutions.
- Have all your money, jewelry, valuables including medicines and important paper work in a separate container that will be loaded into your car under your supervision at all times.
- Clean the refrigerator, then defrost and dry.
Day of the move
- Create a path for the movers to navigate safely by clearing your driveway of objects, snow, or ice.
- Pack your suitcase and day of the move box with all necessary essentials to get you through the next few days in case you don’t get to unpacking right away.
- Be sure you’re present when the movers arrive so you can walk them through the home and indicate what you need moved or anything in particular they should be aware of.
- Once all belongings are loaded onto the moving truck, be sure to do one more walk-through and lock all windows and outside doors, in addition to checking all lights and your thermostat are off before heading to your new home.
HAVE A MOVE COMING UP? LET HMS HELP!
CONTACT US TODAY FOR A NO OBLIGATION ESTIMATE!